Mavenir's RCS Business Messaging solution is a cloud-based carrier messaging solution that leverages Rich Communication Services (RCS) and Messaging-as-a-Platform (MaaP) technologies to monetize the wireless assets of mobile network operators (MNO).
Over the top (OTT) messaging applications—such as WhatsApp, LINE, Facebook Messenger or Telegram—decimated the MNO’s peer-to-peer (P2P) messaging revenue and are now coming after their application-to-person (A2P) revenue using the same strategy of providing a richer multimedia messaging experience to the consumer but, this time, targeting brands and aggregators looking to provide a better customer experience. With new business-oriented services such as WhatsApp for Business, LINE Partner, or Facebook Messenger for Business, OTTs are seeing an opportunity to capture lucrative A2P traffic as users move from plain text into rich messaging.
Mavenir’s RCS Business Messaging solution allows MNOs to protect their growing A2P revenue by providing a fast and simple solution to implement RCS messaging into the wireless network, from the cloud, with full combability with GSMA Universal Profile clients—such as Google Android Messages or Samsung Messages—and facilitating the integration of enablers such as chatbots, mobile payments and other messaging based applications to enable MNOs and aggregators to strategically position themselves as key players in the business-to-consumer (B2C) messaging market.
Enhancing Business-to-Consumer (B2C) Messaging
According to GSMA, SMS remains the world’s largest messaging platform with 4 billion monthly active users (MAU) and 2 trillion messages exchanged in 2017, and the SMS-based business to consumer (B2C) market is worth USD $60 billion.
With conversational and group messaging, picture sharing, audio and video, rich cards, and delivery and read receipts—among other features—RCS turns the smartphone into the kind of digital billboard that is coveted by brands. Because RCS provides a seamless evolution—with SMS/MMS fallback—those 4 billion SMS users can be converted over time by updating the software on their devices or gradually with the device renewal cycle.
Contrary to the OTTs offering, this represents an unfragmented mobile ecosystem that is very attractive to brands due to its reliability, security, and reach, and opens up a massive B2C messaging market, which the GSMA has estimated around USD $125 billion.
Mavenir’s RCS Business Messaging allows MNOs to stand out from the OTT noise by offering brands and aggregators a messaging solution that has the attributes they covet:
- Reach—any consumer with a mobile phone number and an RCS compatible device (286 million monthly active users in 2Q2019 and expected to reach 395 million by 1Q2020, with a total addressable market of 2 billion users, according to GSMA) and backward compatibility with MMS or SMS only devices
- Clean Channel—ensuring the conversation between the brand and the consumer is private and the content will not be shared with third parties for other purposes (e.g.: advertising)
- Richness—the RCS Universal Profile provides a baseline that all clients and devices support for rich multimedia capabilities such as images, audio, video, rich cards (single or in carrousels), pre-configured response buttons, QR codes and more.
- Reward—our solution also includes a monetization platform that allows opt-in consumers to receive offers and be rewarded with minutes/megabytes/points or other assets.
- Privacy and protection—with business authentication and authorization that assures the consumers they are interacting with the real brand and lets them finalize the conversation whenever they want, opting out from receiving additional messages
Mavenir, the industry leader in messaging with a 37% share of the RCS market, 13 active RCS deployments and more than 495 million RCS subscribers sold globally, is the right partner for MNOs looking to succeed in the growing RCS Business Messaging market.